I'll Never Write a Novel

The Memoir of a Personal Essayist OR Confessions of a Theatre Widow

Saturday, March 15, 2008

We are the Champ-ions

What I am working on right now:

Darina Allen's Champ

This is not a book or an album, it's a recipe. My family is having our annual St. Patrick's Day to-do tonight and I volunteered to make Champ. It's really just fancy shmancy mashed potatoes, but a very traditional Irish dish. The scallions are chopped. The potatoes are boiling. The milk is ready to be warmed.

The woman who wrote the recipe uses some fabulous lingo in it. She says to put "knobs" of butter in a well on the top. The knobs are all prepared. But my favorite item she instructs is that you are to boil the potatoes with their jackets on. I love the idea of potatoes in jackets. In fact, I really like personification of inanimate objects. Seriously. Ask me about it sometime. It's pretty much always funny to me.

So, The Champ is happening. And it's going to be really, really good. Along with all the other tasty items being prepared. And this way we can make St. Patty's last through the actual day, March 17. But we celebrate today in order to not conflict with Holy Week, which starts on Monday. This issue hasn't come up in decades, but we're finding a way to make it work. Little Irish Catholic trivia for you.

5 Comments:

Blogger Dahli said...

I LOVE champ!
Working in an Irish Pub I have become very familiar with such delicacies as Champ & Colcannon potatoes and other Irish gourmets. I hope your family celebration was great and A very Happy St. Patrick's Day to you and yours.
xo

9:40 PM  
Blogger Noreen said...

Happy St. Patrick's to you, Dahli! So great to keep up with you. Oooh, and how fun working at an Irish pub. That sounds like a great gig (at least it would be for me). I think I could eat my weight in potatoes. OK, maybe I could just eat my baby's weight in Irish potato dishes!

10:50 PM  
Blogger ZestyJenny said...

great post, noreen.

potatoes in jackets! HA!

12:15 PM  
Blogger Ginormous Boobs said...

So how did this come out?

10:02 AM  
Blogger Noreen said...

The Champ was a real success, I must say. I think I would use a little less milk the next time, to make the final version a little thicker and fluffier. Oh, and the knobs of butter are essential.

12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home