I'll Never Write a Novel

The Memoir of a Personal Essayist OR Confessions of a Theatre Widow

Saturday, January 05, 2008

The Magic of Language

Some might call me a word nerd. Maybe I am.

My husband laughs at me because I like puns and plays on words. It's simple and so am I. Here are a couple of funnies that caught my eye as of late:

1. A client wrote to me the other day suggesting that they had several parts to cast in a video. He writes, "I wanted to give you a heads up so that you could start thinking about who might fit these rolls..." I always like a potato rosemary. That's just me. Depends on the meal.

2. It's old news but last month Seattle launched the South Lake Union Trolley. It makes me giggle. Let me help you out with this one if you are, as yet, unfamiliar

S outh
L ake
U nion
T rolley

3. On the same day that the SLUT began taking be taking people for a ride, Chicago got big sports news. With my mind now already in the gutter, my brain was clearly elsewhere as the graphic came up to tease to sports. The sound was down, so I didn't know what they were talking about. What would you think?

Chicago gets Fukudome

Now I would be mad if they tore down Wrigley Field to build something else, too. It might even make me want to call it an expletive. It seemed like this might be the Chicagoan derogatory term for a new stadium, and the anchors totally said "Slut" earlier. Are they really saying, "Fuk-U-Dome?" (not really swearing here for anyone following resolutions). So, they come back from commercial and I turn up the volume. Turns out the Cubs just got a new ballplayer. He's from Japan. His name is pronounced Fa-koo-do-may. Ahhhh.

Cleaning out the dirty parts of my brain, but leaving all the word nerdery.

* Tee hee hee. Blogger just spell checked the word "Fuk." Do you know what the top alternate is? Dirty.

6 Comments:

Blogger ZestyJenny said...

Uh, Noreen, it's The South Lake Union STREETCAR.

No, I know. No matter how many times they call it a streetcar, they can't make me stop calling it the SLUT.

8:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love all the word nerdery! I just collected a new batch of high school persuasive papers to grade, and they are always rich with interesting typos. It's a small break in the monotony. I'll let you know if anything worthwhile turns up.

4:58 PM  
Blogger Noreen said...

Jenny- I can only think of it as the SLUT, too. I want to ride it, so I can say I have. They actually showed the people wearing the t-shirts on the news!
Beth- Please share the word nerdery. I bet you could write a blog exclusively about that with the material you have to work with! I hope you and Liam are doing well!

2:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nor, I know you'll be proud to know that the SLUT was highlighted on "Wait Wait, Don't Tell Me" just one week after that same show mentioned Seattle's crazy-assed goat laws. I'm so proud of the Emerald City! And while puns are not my faves, count me in as a word nerd!

9:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haha! The SLUT! I love it. Seattle, you're one of a kind. I'm so glad you brought this to our attention. :)

7:57 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Um, you know how I feel about word nerdery. I majored in it in college. I've made it my profession. Frightening. And the word "Fukudome" makes me laugh. John doesn't think it's a real Japanese last name.

10:12 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home