I'll Never Write a Novel

The Memoir of a Personal Essayist OR Confessions of a Theatre Widow

Tuesday, March 04, 2008

My Mom Is Awesome


This is a shot from the Washington State Senate last week where Senate Resolution 8717 was passed, honoring my mom. It's bittersweet because she can't be here with us to celebrate this amazing honor. Were she still here, last Tuesday would have been, well, Tuesday.

I have been battling the bitter part of the "bittersweet" as of late, but today I am savoring the sweet. My mom was one amazing lady and I am so blessed to have her as my mom. I am extra blessed that I have gotten to share her with so many appreciative people. The language of the bill is quite "senate-y" but really nice:

I treasure all this, but I think my favorite part is that she "acted on her deeply held beliefs in such a manner that she brought honor and dignity to herself and to our state, and resulted in her gaining the respect of even those who most vehemently disagreed with her on policy..." This is a conversation Mom and I had a lot. She would say that there were people who called her controversial, but, moreover, said there were people who didn't like her. I often noted that people may disagree with her, but they all respect her. And, they do. What is there not to love about this woman? You couldn't help but like her. She deserves respect and she got it. Now, it is forever in the record of Washington State that this is true.

Another neat part of this is that it was introduced as a bi-partisan resolution. She would like this almost as much as the fact that it thanks her husband and kids. My dad and I talked the other night and we talked about how my mom would never take credit for the things she did. She was always so grateful to my dad and really praised his faith, dedication, fortitude, and on and on. She's 100% right about all that and more. My dad is quite remarkable, too, I'll have you know. But, my mom would always tell you that everything she did wasn't about her, but was for "Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam" (AMDG) or as it is translates, "For The Greater Glory of God."


I am constantly thinking about the ways I can be more like my mom. How lucky I am to be like her in many ways already. Living for the Greater Glory is certainly a start. I am praying for the blessings and gifts that only come from God like the ability to make people see the best in themselves and make them feel special, the ability to connect with people in a unique way, to light up a room, and to make people feel good... (she had more gifts than I can possibly name here). I am praying, too, for the patience to develop these skills-- and wisdom to discern them as they are presented to me. I ask for wisdom and patience a lot. It can't hurt to ask you to pray for me to have those gifts, too.

Please continue to pray for my family. We all have a hole in our hearts. Please pray for me and for people generally to become better and more loving.
As many have said in honor of my mom, I add, "Job well done, good and faithful servant." What I add is, "I have fought the good fight. I have run the race. I have kept the faith." Yes, you have, Mom.

6 Comments:

Blogger BethanyWD said...

Gosh, what a hole their is. I've been thinking and praying about your family; in ways I can't even yet put into words. I will continue to do so, and add myself to the thousands (if not HUNDREDS of thousands) praying for you and your family; that you will continue to be enveloped in God's love.

10:00 PM  
Blogger Noreen said...

Thanks, Bethany. You are such a blessing in my life. I am so grateful for you and for your prayers! God bless.

1:14 AM  
Blogger Alicia said...

Many hugs ...

12:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had no idea this kind of thing happened in government--what a wonderful tribute to your amazing mom. Lots of love to you!

4:58 PM  
Blogger Cary McNeal said...

That's a nice honor for a woman who clearly deserves to be honored.

I am sorry for the hole in your hearts. Although I don't know you and Kate in real life, I think about your loss often, and continue to hope that the pain will pass in due time. And it will.

Thinking of you guys.

7:20 PM  
Blogger Ginormous Boobs said...

What a proud moment!

10:13 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home