I'll Never Write a Novel

The Memoir of a Personal Essayist OR Confessions of a Theatre Widow

Wednesday, January 09, 2008

2007, I hardly knew ye

I've seen this survey on a lot of my favorite blogs lately, and I guess I thought I might give it a go. It's pretty long, and I may not have answers for some, well at least not interesting ones. And looking at the questions, I have to say that my year is like a before and after. There is one life before the Little G, and a new life after. So, here goes.

1. What did you do in 2007 that you’d never done before?
Everything was new in 2007! I Gave birth, flew while pregnant, lived in NYC, changed my child's diaper, lost baby weight, soothed a crying child, wept with joy at my baby, rang in the year a stone's throw from Time's Square.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I didn't make resolutions in 2007 (I normally don't), but I am sticking to my 2008 resolutions.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
So very many people close to me gave birth, most essentially me on April 29. Also, my sister-in-law, Sonja, gave birth to Ellie. Two months later our good family friend, Rosalie ,gave birth to Ivan. Then, two of my best friends, Kathryn and Raina, gave birth to babies within 10 days of one another, Oliver and Nhyia, respectively. I might even be forgetting people.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Not in 2007
5. What countries did you visit?
I don't remember leaving the country.
6. What would you like to have in 2008 that you lacked in 2007?
Sleep.
7. What dates from 2007 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Obviously, April 29, 2007, will forever be etched in my mind. Greatest day in my life to date.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Well, not to be redundant, I gave birth, in a tub, at The Birthing Inn, with no drugs, on April 29. I started with contractions at about 10 a.m., got to the Birthing Inn at 2:10 p.m., and had The Babes by 3:56 p.m.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Any that I didn't learn from.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
I was in a constant state of physical change in all of 2007, and I am still getting back to stasis.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
A sofa. How comfy! I didn't have one for the first seven or so months of my pregnancy. It was a religious experience getting one.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
My child's. She is a miracle.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
While I am often appalled by the selfishness of people, I try not to get depressed by it. The celebrity machine makes me sick.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Most of my money goes to the basics: food, shelter, the baby, etc. There were a couple splurges.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Would you like to make a guess? Having a baby is the greatest anticipation. And, I got really excited about Christmas!
16. What song will always remind you of 2007?
It will take me a little while to digest which ones ring most specific for this year. Tiana put "Baby I'm Yours" on a CD of baby songs. It became my lullaby in the beginning and that song will always stick with me. Oooh, and I think Kanye West's "Stronger" will always sound like 2007.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you: a) happier or sadder? b) thinner or fatter? c) richer or poorer?
a) happier b) thinner c) about the same
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
I didn't get nearly enough sleep, but I am not ready to give that time back. Pray. Keep in better touch with friends.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Watch TV.
20. How did you spend Christmas?
I had the best Christmas ever. I spent Christmas Eve with the in-law side of the family and it was glorious. Christmas day was with my family, surrounded by the whole crew, while it snowed. It felt so right to have three stockings at the fireplace this year. We have always been meant to be more than a two stocking family.
21. Did you fall in love in 2007?
I fell in love with my husband all over again, and I fell in love with my child more every day.
22. What was your favorite TV program?
I watch too much TV, so I have a few favorites: LOST, Heroes, Colbert Report, How I Met Your Mother, 30 Rock, Ellen, Big Bang Theory, Scrubs, So You Think You Can Dance. Oh, boy I watch a lot of this crap.
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
I don't really use that word.
24. What was the best book you read?
I read lots of baby books, and not very many books for pleasure. Embarrassing. Maybe "The Baby Whisperer."
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Always my husband.
26. What did you want and get?
A happy, healthy baby. A new sofa. Peace of mind. iPod touch.
27. What did you want and not get?
Bags of money falling from the sky.
28. What was your favorite film of this year?
Too hard to say.
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I saw "West Side Story," and got to go backstage (first night away from Little G). I turned 30.
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Less debt.
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2007?
Transitional.
32. What kept you sane?
My family.
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Stephen Colbert, perhaps.
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
Human rights.
35. Who did you miss?
Lucy, my niece, who passed away at three and a half months. I have a new found understanding of the loss as a mom now.
36. Who was the best new person you met?
Oh, I don't know, my baby.
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2007.
"And Hope Does Not Dissapoint..."
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
"Baby, I'm yours. And I'll be yours till the stars fall from the skies. Yours until the poets run out of rhymes."

There you have it. A huge year summed up in simple questions. Well, close enough.

3 Comments:

Blogger ZERD said...

Happy 2008, Noreen! Many blessings on you and yours.

4:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay! Noreen did the 2007 Q&A! How could you not write your baby for every question - I would!

And I didn't know you turned 30! when was your birthday? I need to mark that on my calendar. My 30th will be coming this year. I'm looking forward to leaving my 20s behind.

Oh - and we have the exact same taste in television shows. Do you know how obsessed I was with SYTYCD? ha! I even bought tickets to see them live!

2:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found you through Jill's blog...Noreen your baby is so so beautiful. I love hearing your awe of her in your responses. Reminds me of so much. You and Louis are living the dream. I love you! Kathy

9:25 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home