I'll Never Write a Novel

The Memoir of a Personal Essayist OR Confessions of a Theatre Widow

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

I Went to Work Today

I start this off by saying, "I went to work today." The verb "went" is the key here. I work every day. "Work" is an exceptionally common verb in my world. I never even took maternity leave, just kept working. Office work, house work, mama work, wife work, etc., etc. But today, I got up, got dressed in trouser jeans (note previous post about one pair of non-embarrassing pants), cute brown sweater and fabulous trench. I put on my make-up (ha ha), nursed the Lil' G, and was off. I stopped at Starbucks (ah, sweet coffee), and went to a downtown office to work. I have not gone to work for a meeting by myself in months. It actually felt good. How I appreciate my daughter and how lonely I am in her absence. But I have to say that it felt nice to be a smart, independent individual for a few hours. I am good at my job and it's good to have a moment or two to focus on my skills. I kind of rock.

I had a good meeting, talked about T-town business and answered some email. Then, I checked my mailbox (the papery kind), went to the bank, picked-up lunch and headed home. When I opened the door to be greeted by the sweetest, happy, squealing baby grin. My girl could enjoy seeing me, too, and it was a ridiculously happy moment for the Mama. Hooray!

I definitely don't want to "go" to work every day (I'd also actually like to "work" less, too). I like the idea of appreciating myself and my family more ofter, though. And, I like being appreciated. The change of pace is worthwhile and I need to stay on my toes.

For now, I have to get to "work."

3 Comments:

Blogger Dahli said...

I'm glad your blogging often..it's nice to read your words & have a breif glimpse into the Hobson world. much love to you, Gwen & Louis. xo

10:02 PM  
Blogger CV said...

Hey Noreen! :) Nice to "see you" and as Dahli said, have a glimpse into your life. Hope you, baby G and Louis are doing well.

2:23 PM  
Blogger ZestyJenny said...

Hooray!

I finally made it over her to catch up on a "year" of your posts.

More, please.

1:36 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home