I'll Never Write a Novel

The Memoir of a Personal Essayist OR Confessions of a Theatre Widow

Monday, August 21, 2006

Summer's Eve, Makes Me Feel Fine

Just briefly.

My hubby and I went out with our single friend the other night. We often do. He's great company, and it gives us the singles scene experience we lack. Women flock to him. One night he had three girls basically just give him their numbers. He wasn't even trying. And, he's not smarmy, so he's not playing games to get them. We, vicariously, feel successful when things go his way. We're rooting for him and we chip in where we can help. I don't know if old marrieds ever help, but there we are.

In any case, we were out the other night and one girl, D, seemed really into our single friend. She was out with another girlfriend (note: very drunk friend) who was also enjoying the Taco Tuesday free-for-all. Then, this very random friend of "D" says, "So what's your name," to our friend. He says, "Hey, I'm Jake." And she says, "Ah. 'Jake.' I always think that name seems kind of douchey." We looked at her. "I mean I think of guys being named Jake as real douches. Nothing personal."

Wow. Douchey. It's a whole new word usage, and as a word nerd, I love that. We tried lots of different ways to use it and I think we liked this way best: "Oh, no. Jake just got here. He really douches up the place."

There's your new word: Douchey.

4 Comments:

Blogger shelley said...

i can't wait to use douchey in a sentence!

i think i should get bonus points for trying it at work. :)

7:59 PM  
Blogger Noreen said...

Oh, yes! Bonus points at work. Maybe you can try, "Thanks for all our hard work on this project. It doesn't seem doucey at all." I am just going off the top. I am sure you can come up with better!

11:11 AM  
Blogger Cakes on a Plane said...

I don't think Jake could ever possibly be characterized as "douchey," and boy will I n.e.v.e.r. use that as a new word. Let's let the douchette keep that word all to herself. What do you think?

I'm SOOO glad we're all blogging, and can have these sneak peaks into one another's lives. I love reading what you have to say. Give your hubby a hug from me and B.

6:49 AM  
Blogger ZestyJenny said...

Oh. My. God.

Vicarious or no, I am SO GLAD I am not single.

That is just awful.

5:08 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home