I'll Never Write a Novel

The Memoir of a Personal Essayist OR Confessions of a Theatre Widow

Sunday, April 04, 2010

Let's Try This Again

Well, clearly I am not writing a novel. Alas, I am not even writing a blog.

Looking for focus. I am not sure what thoughts and ideas are worth posting here, but maybe if I just start writing, even if I don't know what I am going to write, I'll get some ideas.

Here are a couple topics to muse upon...

The Boy
Since my last post we have added Thomas Richard to the clan. He's darling and a great baby. While staying with my dad for several weeks he frequently commented how good Thomas is. And that guy knows a little more than something about babies. More on Dad later. Thomas already sleeps and eats better than Little G did by six months I would guess, so we're on the right track. That being said, it hasn't been all wine and roses (in fact very little of either, literally). The biggest obstacle has probably been the thrush/yeast issue I have had in nursing. I you are sensitive, scroll down now. I think the nipple pain I had rivaled my challenging and painful birth. And it went on and on. And I didn't know when and if it would end. After I got through it I commented to my sister that I finally thought I was going to get to keep the nipple (half kidding/half serious) and she replied, "That's good. And I never want to hear anyone say that phrase again." The midwife actually gasped when she saw was I had going on in the nippular region. She said she'd seen a few cases that bad in her time and that most people through came out okay. Yikes. That's enough about boobs for now, I think.

My Dad
So, my dad was diagnosed with Stage IV Lung Cancer within about four weeks after I had Thomas. I want to note here that Thomas is named after both grandfathers Thomas is Louis' dad and Richard is my dad. We are blessed to have two amazing men to have our son share a name with. We couldn't ask for better. My dad is a truly amazing, funny and inspiring person. It is my honor to be his daughter. He has quietly and meaningfully touched more lives that one could even begin to count. This diagnosis has been a truly devastating blow and the prognosis is not good. We hope to have him with us for a year or two. According to "the numbers" that is very optimistic. I choose to maintain hope. Anything else is too unbearable to think. I am grateful that I got to take the kids home and to be with my dad for four weeks. There is never enough time. While on the phone with him today I thought, "Please, God, do not let this be the last time I will ever with my dad a 'Happy Easter.'" I count on having Easter 2011 with him. I believe in miracles. If I keep up this blog I suspect that there will be much more on this topic. For now, I beg you to please pray for him.

Cooking
Now for something completely different. I have been baking and cooking a lot lately. Not as much as I would like, mind you, but a good bit. I made coconut macaroons yesterday with The G. They are amazing. I generally cannot eat macaroons since traditional recipes call for almond extract (I mean, I could eat them, but then I would be fiercely sick). I subbed in some vanilla extract and I have no idea why anyone would want them any other way. Recipe, you say?

Coconut Vanilla Macaroons
One 14 oz. package sweetened coconut (I used Angel Flake)
2/3 c. sugar
6 tbs. flour
1/4 tsp. salt
4 egg whites
1 tsp. vanilla

Mix sugar, flour and salt in a bowl. In a large bowl whip egg whites with an electric mixers till soft peaks form. Add vanilla and gently blend. Add coconut and sugar mixture by hand with the egg whites.

Bake at 325 degrees for 15 minutes. You may need a couple extra minutes depending on your oven. I advise using a floured parchment or a silpat on your baking sheet. Check for golden brown edges. Remove promptly to a rack to cool. Let cool completely. Enjoy. Try not to eat 20.

I've been making up recipes, trying new things and perfecting standards. I think this is a great new release for me and I look forward to lots more cooking. By the way, my Cuisinart 7-speed handmixer rocks.

So, I think that's all a fair smattering of life today. We'll see how long it takes to come back...

4 Comments:

Blogger shelley said...

You're back! :)

Love the updates, well, mainly, love the fact that you're updating. The first two topics make my chest and heart sad.

But we'll continue to pray. ♥

6:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hooray, hooray, welcome back, boobs and all. Love you bunches. Praying for you, your dad, and the whole family. xoxo.

10:43 PM  
Blogger Noreen said...

Thanks, Ladies. Glad to know someone out there is reading. It's a good motivator. And, thanks for the prayers. Feeling very blessed in that way.

2:27 PM  
Anonymous beth c said...

Yay for licking the beaters! Let me know when great recipes (or adaptations) come your way--I love me some baking! :)

1:30 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home