I'll Never Write a Novel

The Memoir of a Personal Essayist OR Confessions of a Theatre Widow

Monday, April 26, 2010

The Cake Challenge

I was a lucky little kid. This is true on so many levels, but today's topic is birthday cakes. And I had some cool ones. My favorite, of course, was the Barbie cake. It was the coolest cake. Ever. My mom had a friend who owned a bakery. Beck's Bakery, in Fircrest, was the closest thing I have ever seen in the Tacoma area that rivals the bakeries in my neighborhood. I assume it was modeled after the East Coast awesomeness. And I know my mom loved Beck's because of it. And, Mrs. Beck loved us kids. She was an amazing gal to know as a little kid. She was so nice and sweet (no pun intended) and you always got a free cookie or something delicious out of a trip to Beck's Bakery. Oh, and, you got kick booty b-day cakes. And the Creme-De la-Creme was the doll cake. Usually* there was a whole Barbie (or Barbie knock-off) standing in a dress made out of cakie wonderfulness. C'mon, you just can't beat that. Cake and a doll?! Too cool. (I say "usually", because I distinctly recall one cake that just had a torso and head. Yikes.)

And, now, living in bakery mecca my daughter has seen the Barbie cake and instantly recognized it's magnificence. Her first glimpse: A sight to behold rotating on a stand in the window of La Guli. She began requesting a Barbie cake at least six-months ago. And we kept saying, "for your birthday." So she began to pass by the bakery saying, "I'm going to get a Barbie cake for my birthday." We continued to agree. It never occurred to us to ask how much one would cost, we'd just enthusiastically promise Gwen the coolest birthday cake. Ever. Wanna see what they look like so you can agree? Click here then scroll through a couple images. If you want to see even more extraordinary images just do a google search. Ahh-mazing.

As Little G's birthday quickly approached The Dad Guy and I decided to find out how much it would be to procure fantasy cake. Then we found out. Now, for all the work that goes into such a masterpiece, and knowing how delicious this bakery's goods are, the price is not absurd. But when you think about the fact that we aren't likely serving more that 5 people cake, it's ridiculous. $80-90+. Seriously. But no other cake will do for our girl. I think she'd genuinely wonder where her Barbie cake is if we didn't deliver on the promise we made this week (her birthday is Thursday). So, what's a family with big promises and small wallets to do? Bake your own, you say? Well, that's what we are about to do.

I am taking on the crazy task... mission... nay, quest, of baking a Barbie cake. I am no crafter. I've got no secret cake decorating skills up my sleeve. I am just a girl, standing in front of an oven, trying to make her daughter happy. I have watched a couple tutorials on You Tube. I have selected the Belle doll to inhabit the cake. All the appropriate supplies have been obtained after stops at a lot of stores. And now, via the internets, I have announced to the public that I am reaching way beyond my capabilities to bake the improbable. I mean, I can't say it's impossible. Clearly, it's possible to do. It's just a stretch for this little lady.

The stats:
Doll: Beauty and the Beast's very own Belle. Her dress just screams to be recreated in frosting, right? Plus, the one I purchases actually has her top moulded to the body.
Cake: Basic 1-2-3-4 Cake
Frosting: Cream Cheese Buttercream. I hope I bought enough yellow food coloring.

The best skills that I bring to the project, I think, are a) my tremendous love for my daughter and my joy in her happiness; b) lots of experience eating cake (and enjoying the doll variety quite a bit); c) even more experience playing with Barbie.

So, now you know. You are officially on the Barbie Cake Journey with me. If you have any advice or words of encouragement, please do not hesitate to share with me. Isn't that what the comments section is for? Now that this is public knowledge I can't really back out. You're counting on a picture, right? I guess it better look good.

16 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Go read my blog. I've posted my response.

You are braver than I will ever be.

Can't wait to see this project unfold.

1:20 PM  
Anonymous Katie@Yoga Gal said...

I found this from Kate's blog but I am totally Following you because I also have a daughter who loves Barbie and I really want to see how your cake turns out. Good luck and God speed!

2:01 PM  
Blogger BethanyWD said...

All I have to say is, I sure hope Cameron doesn't see the end result or I, too, am in for alot of suffering preparing for her upcoming birthday.

8:07 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Good look Noreen, you are a great mommy, to take this on.

9:13 AM  
Blogger Aileen said...

You rule! Wish I could be there to help. I have so many decorating supplies. I would love to make a cake like this. Can't believe none of us has ever tried.
You will be successful and you will hear me cheering with exciting from 3000 miles away.
xoxo, A

11:00 AM  
Blogger Noreen said...

Thanks, everybody! I can't tell you how much I appreciate the support. Can't wait to post images of the finished product. And it's nice of the TV people at Lost to have a rerun tonight so as not to distract me!

2:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go Nor! I'm psyched for the photos, but I gotta wonder. Are you sure, at this point in your life, that you've done more Barbie playing than cake eating? 'Cause if that's true, treat yourself to a third slice of this sucker. Love you.

4:43 PM  
Anonymous vuhelp.net said...


Nice blogger

5:11 AM  
Blogger ProCrack4 PC said...

Pixologic Zbrush crackLinkThanks for the post. Very interesting post. This is my first-time visit here. I found so many interesting stuff in your blog. Keep posting.

10:15 PM  
Blogger raheelpc said...

That is very interesting, You’re an overly skilled blogger. I’ve joined your rss feed and look ahead to in the hunt for more of your magnificent post. Additionally, I’ve shared your website in my social networks.https://raheelpc.com/screenhunter procrack

10:43 PM  
Blogger freeprokeys said...

loaris-trojan-remover-crack
Is the Best application. You can take advantage of this program to get rid of malware or trojan. While you employ an antivirus that is highly reputable though you might locate it,new crack

5:08 AM  
Blogger idmcrack said...


This article is so innovative and well constructed I got lot of information from this post. Keep writing related to the topics on your site. bandicut-crack

10:09 PM  
Blogger saqlain said...

Webroot SecureAnywhere Antivirus Crack
SpyHunter Crack
Panda Dome Premium Crack
YouTube By Click Crack

8:35 PM  
Blogger saqi said...

Hotspot Shield Crack

9:41 PM  
Anonymous Kashish said...

Nice information about software
Read more social media marketing agency in delhi

1:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very useful information
Read more website development company in delhi

12:59 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home